Show proof this game is not dead

Moderator: Jessie Black

Show proof this game is not dead

Postby Danimal » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello, im a big fan of the ufo: extraterrestrials (finished it a few times), but over the last 3 years i have only seen a release date being postponed again and again, to the point i thougth the project was totally dead. Opening this forum is little help to think otherwise, why are the developers so secretive? Is it so difficult to post some news or new screen from time to time?(a pics months away doesnt count), this behaviour is not helping at all to promote a supposed revival of the game and its community disbanded long ago.

So Jessie Black, if you have any kind of contact with the developers please relay to them that in the current game market, where games are being sold even as pre-alphas, keeping a gestapo-like attitude with your fanbase is the worst idea possible. They should post anything they are achieving reguraly, even if little changes, to give an impression of a healthy living development. Furthermore, by the few screenshoots we have it seems there is already a working engine, nothing would promote more the revival than a short video of the working engine, even if its really basic or unstable.

Please dont take this as an insult, its just a critic to an erroneus policy, so they stop alienating their fanbase and finally break their silence.
Danimal

Re: Show proof this game is not dead

Postby hyzary » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm

i dont believe jessie is a full time, or full time on the job here on website. otherwise we would already seen a lot more.

bear in mind they are small studio, where they got little to no experience in a AAA marketing.

i also believe that realesing xcom messed theire plans a bit, so they had to scrap some of they work. (make it better)

those screenshots u reffering to, looks like the old engine really. so from the start they got the engine, it just got bigger, with new features and stuff.

for them the marketing might also mean a close up if they do it wrong, so sometimes its acctually better to not show up to much. what weve got is ok. a video i agree, could do, especially with a nice short trailer ;)

also i sort of agree about pre alphas. they could sell those as a preorder, and give as small access to the game, be it a mission, geoscape with random stuff etc. most of us here are big fans, we did played a lot, and know things almost inside out. the risk is we could be very dissapointed tho. as the original one didnt fit me well, tho i played it a lot longer than other copies. what gave me the kick to finish it was a grey mod, and probably at some point ill finish it again with my custom settings to suit my mood.

if u didnt try it with this mod, try it now, it makes all the game supoused to be, with just small exceptions, but thats a matter of taste.

anyway, the game isnt dead, and cant believe they wont release it soon. its to long in development, budget is running out i think, and they need to polish stuff as much as they can now. besiedes its better to realease bug free, than unplayable like some major studios are doing, and then u need to wait weeks till it get patched.
hyzary

Postby Danimal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I get some of your points, but, for example i have bougth gnomoria early acccess, its an small game nowhere near AAA developed by a single dude, and he doesnt fail to give some news each couple of weeks or less. That he cant give a gaming experience like any of the big companies, sure, but hes got now a big community providing him with feedback and ideas. While in here, it seems they dont care at all about what little people have any interest left on their game, proof is there is no official answer to this post, not even a ban like some other extremist sites do when someone annoys them.

Is it that hard to release a bit of new content or even show they are alive?, and i doubt it will be "new" since everything is already invented in the genre so there is hardly any chace of it being "stolen".
Danimal

Postby DocMoriarty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I agree that a bit more information every now and then would be nice. You can't excuse the lack of any reasonable information with the dev team being small, if they seriously work on the game. I was also surprised that there were two titles in the works. Doesn't make sense to me.
DocMoriarty

Postby Jessie Black » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Dear Players,

Thank you for all your opinions you have written here. At first I can assure you that the game is not dead. The team is working hard on the game to be released as soon as possible. The whole team greatly appreciates your suggestions and criticisms that have appeared on the forum.

I try to respond to your questions as soon as I can or as I have the answers.

I will pass what you have suggested to the team and i beleave, they will bring you some new informations, that could assure you, that the game is more than living :)

Thank you for your patiance.
Jessie Black

Postby raziel_malakai » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:12 am

Thank you very much Jessie Black, that would be greatly appreciated by all of us
raziel_malakai

Postby AJ Rimmer Bsc. Ssc. » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 pm

would be nice to see some new screenies or info....but if its a choice of info vs released sooner,i`ll take the wait.

as said above theres so many trashy games released in an alpha/beta state,i dont mind waiting if it means a polished game.

and chaos concepts are small and dedicated,which might mean less time to post info.
AJ Rimmer Bsc. Ssc.

Postby UfoYo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 am

I think what Danimal wants, what many of us want is simply to be informed a little more. You tell us that you are working hard on the game and we all want to believe you but you don't seem to have a very hands on approach, at least not when it comes to your prospective market.

For example - Any other game that were in development like this, particularly one with a cult following this large, would have a forum with regularly updated information posts, screen shots, progress updates, perhaps even an open beta or kickstarter program, youtube posts etc. Not all of this is necessary, but surely something is?

By comparison: This forum only just opened, has no sticky posts made by the devs or their liason, nothing that is regularly updated and is largely full of questions from slightly annoyed, but none the less appreciative fans and enthusiasts. There is no option to pre-purchase, information is difficult to get and when it's given it's very general.

It's at about this point any fans reading this are probably either agreeing with me, or getting ready to flame. Please don't misunderstand. I am a life long fan of the Xcom/UFO games and I played the first Extraterrestrials to death. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the people putting this game together. Which is why I want to see them make as much money as possible from all their hard work, and that simply isn't going to happen unless they hook people. As they say, any advertising is good advertising (or however that saying goes) and you guys aren't doing any advertising!!! Give us some details, give us some screen shots, give us a video or two, give us a prepurchase option! Give us something! Because frankly if the work going in to promoting the game is in any way reflective of the work being put in to the game itself then I have a very bad feeling.

Let me put it another way so my point is extremely clear: Myself and all these nice people here would like to give you our money, please help us to give you our money!

I hope you see what I mean? We shouldn't need to ask that! There should be a thousand reasons and ways for us to do that! I love you guys and I love this game, I have faith I just want to know what I have faith in./endrant

On another note, everything you have shared looks amazing and I am so excited to play this I can barely contain myself! Keep up the great work folks.
UfoYo

Postby Grufflehound » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm

I agree. Woof. Woof. Throw us a bone.
I may be old but my walking frame has racing-stripes.
Grufflehound

Postby raziel_malakai » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:03 am

heck i agree as well, i loved the first game but the whole marketing strategy behind the sequel is absurd.
This is the first time i ever run into a game developer that completely ignores his own clientele. Developers, you do want to sell your game?
I understand you're a small studio,etc but this is getting ridiculous as an approach. Very "Soviet Russia" of you I must say :P
raziel_malakai

Next

Return to UFO2ET Battle for Mercury